Sunday 15 July 2012

EL NIÑO and LA NIÑA Phenomena

  • Today I learned that El Niño/La Niña-Southern Oscillation, or ENSO, is a quasiperiodic climate pattern that occurs across the tropical Pacific Ocean roughly every five years. The Southern Oscillation refers to variations in the temperature of the surface of the tropical eastern Pacific Ocean (warming and cooling known as El Niño and La Niña respectively) and in air surface pressure in the tropical western Pacific. The two variations are coupled: the warm oceanic phase, El Niño, accompanies high air surface pressure in the western Pacific, while the cold phase, La Niña, accompanies low air surface pressure in the eastern Pacific.[2][3] Mechanisms that cause the oscillation remain under study while La Niña is a coupled ocean-atmosphere phenomenon that is the counterpart of El Niño as part of the broader El Niño-Southern Oscillation climate pattern. During a period of La Niña, the sea surface temperature across the equatorial Eastern Central Pacific Ocean will be lower than normal by 3–5 °C. In the United States, an episode of La Niña is defined as a period of at least 5 months of La Niña conditions. The name La Niña originates from Spanish, meaning "the girl," analogous to El Niño meaning "the boy."
  • I will apply my learnings about EL NIÑO and LA NIÑA in order for me to be aware about the effects of the EL NIÑO and LA NIÑA.
  • Learning about EL NIÑO and LA NIÑA is important because I can be knowledgeable, ready and prepared.
  • On a larger scale I will share my learnings to others for them to know what my learnings about EL NIÑO and LA NIÑA.
  •  I need to learn more about EL NIÑO and LA NIÑA because it is a phenomenon that affects everyone including ME :).

1 comment: